Shepherd's Pie. Try An Amazing Velveeta Skillet Recipe & Find Out Just How Good It Is! Shepherd's Pie recipes are traditionally done with lamb, but are great with any ground meat–turkey and beef being the most popular modern versions. Give this great casserole a try, and watch everyone flock to the table.
This is a recipe for Cottage Pie. This is a recipe for Cottage Pie. Thank you, Dale Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. You can have Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 1 tbsp of reduced calorie margarine.
- It’s 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- It’s 1 tsp of reduced sodium soy sauce.
- It’s 2 cup of cubed, cooked chicken breast.
- It’s 2 of carrots, sliced and blanched.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped, cleaned spinach leaves.
- Prepare 6 of chopped scallions.
- You need 1/2 cup of thawed frozen corn kernels.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of evaporated skimmed milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme leaves, crumbled.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground marjoram.
- You need 3 of medium russet potatoes, cooked, peeled, and mashed.
- You need 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1/4 cup of water.
Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name).
Shepherd's Pie instructions
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, melt the margarine. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in the broth, soy sauce and 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F; spray a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray..
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and the remaining tablespoon of flour. Stir in the carrots, spinach, scallions, corn, milk, thyme, marjoram and the sauce. Transfer to the casserole dish. Top with potatoes, spreading to cover the filling completely; sprinkle with the cheese and paprika. Bake until bubbling and the potatoes are golden, 30-35 minutes..
However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas This easy shepherd's pie is a layered casserole of ground beef and veggies in a homemade gravy. It's topped with Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes. So, this is how you spell it: Shepherd's Pie. But, from doing a quick google search, it came to my attention that TONS of people think it's Shepards Pie.