Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. What follows is a simple recipe for a ground beef version of Shepherd's Pie..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to.
Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. You can have Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- You need 1 tbsp of reduced calorie margarine.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- It’s 1 tsp of reduced sodium soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 cup of cubed, cooked chicken breast.
- You need 2 of carrots, sliced and blanched.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped, cleaned spinach leaves.
- You need 6 of chopped scallions.
- It’s 1/2 cup of thawed frozen corn kernels.
- It’s 1/2 cup of evaporated skimmed milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme leaves, crumbled.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground marjoram.
- It’s 3 of medium russet potatoes, cooked, peeled, and mashed.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1/4 cup of water.
The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes. Find the best recipes for the classic shepherd's pie. Learn how to make it with ground beef, turkey, chicken, and lamb recipes. Shepherd's pie with rich lamb and creamy mash is winter comfort food at its best.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, melt the margarine. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in the broth, soy sauce and 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F; spray a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray..
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and the remaining tablespoon of flour. Stir in the carrots, spinach, scallions, corn, milk, thyme, marjoram and the sauce. Transfer to the casserole dish. Top with potatoes, spreading to cover the filling completely; sprinkle with the cheese and paprika. Bake until bubbling and the potatoes are golden, 30-35 minutes..
The peaks and ridges on the mash just adds to the appeal! British European Recipes Shepherd's Pie Recipes Tomato Beans and Legumes Pea Recipes Lamb Recipes Onion Recipes Beef Corn Recipes. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato topping. Cream of mushroom soup adds flavor and creaminess to the filling.